Friday, September 23, 2011

Some Random Thoughts I've Had

First of all, I've been thinking a lot about Eve lately.

WHAT A BRAVE AND COURAGEOUS WOMAN!  She was the first Mother! She didn't have all the books I do to read, the internet or even anther person to ask how it felt to give birth.  I have been getting more and more scared about the birth as time goes on and I try not to focus on it but thinking about Eve has really helped.  I know that she had a perfect body (was it still perfect after the Fall?) and we know that Heavenly Father didn't leave them to fend for themselves completely.  But still, she was amazing!  I am so grateful for all the women in my life that help me and I just am especially grateful for amazing examples like Eve to look up to.

My other thoughts have been about Christopher Columbus.  (I told you it was random)

For the past few years I have held a Mock Trial to help my students learn more about Columbus and his voyages and what happened.  I have been frustrated in the past with all the honor we give him when 1) He never landed on the North American Continent and 2) He allowed terrible atrocities to happen to the native people.  What I also struggle with is how Nephi presumably saw Columbus or someone who fits the description perfectly, and how he was led by the hand of God.  So I have wrestled with the different information I have and have come to a conclusion.  But first I better explain a little about the Mock Trial.

There are 5 groups on trial for the murder and mistreatment of 1 million, perhaps 3 million, Taino Indians who lived on the island of Hispanola.  Christopher Columbus, Columbus's Crew, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, The Tainos themselves, and the System of Empire are all defendants.  So the evidence against them goes a little like this.  Columbus ordered the mistreatment (like chopping of their hands if they didn't mine enough gold) and allowed his men to do terrible things.  The Crew is responsible for all the dirty work, carrying out the orders and doing some things without orders.  The King and Queen are accused of allowing slavery and mistreatment to happen under their watch.  The Tainos are guilty for not fighting back (they are always found not guilty).  The System of Empire is basically blamed for "making" them do what they did "I was just brought up that way, that's how things were done back then."  So the kids are put in the groups and defend themselves and blame each other in a court style setting.  It's so fun to watch them get all heated about it and I feel like the best teacher having them get into it.  Some are literally red in the face trying to defend themselves on not be found guilty. They don't realize they are learning facts which is fun.

So as it goes on, I obviously can't talk about what the Book of Mormon says so that's why I wanted to blog about it.  So who's to blame?  The people in charge?  The people who actually did it?  Or is it just the circumstances and system they were living in that is responsible?  I'll let you decide what you think.  I have come to my own conclusion.

I of course believe the Book of Mormon is true and though I couldn't find any where that confirms Nephi was specifically talking about Columbus or just another explorer of the time, I do think the descriptions match perfectly.  Columbus was extremely religious and he wrote often about feeling "the hand of God" leading and guiding him.  He even started writing his own prophecies about how he was supposed to do this and was specifically called to be the one to find these people and places.  So now I come to the question of: Does Heavenly Father inspire bad people?  Does he use them to fulfill his prophecies and will?  I think we have proof of that in the scriptures, so yes sometimes.  But I don't think Columbus was corrupt on his first voyage, but after.  My opinion is that he was led by God and discovered a new place that he thought was India.  After he was appointed governor and started getting rich, he lost sight of what was important and was filled with pride. So when things got out of hand with his crew and they committed atrocities, he looked the other way and didn't do anything substantial about it.

If I were to decide, I would put a lot of blame on the crew, the men who actually committed the crimes with their own hands.  This is what I taught the kids today.  I believe that everyone has a choice no matter how you were brought up or treated in your life, you can know right and wrong and make the right decision no matter how hard.  So you can't blame only the system.  The crew could have refused and rebelled and should have.  They all made mistakes but I think the crew was the worst.

BUT, even after all that thought and debate, I realize I don't really have to decide and judge!  Yay, Christ can do that and I will just be grateful I didn't live in that time and will never be faced with decisions like that.    So wow, there's some food for thought right there.  If you read all of this: Good on ya!  I'm impressed.  Please share your thoughts if you want.

1 comment:

ajandersonguy said...

I like it! Especially the last part about how you teach them that they always have a choice! We might have had bad things happen to us but it our choice how we will let those things affect our future and how we treat others.
Jessica

The Newlyweds

The Newlyweds