Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Our Week

We had an eventful weekend. We had friends over for dinner and played Settlers of Catan (a great game) and I totally won and I've only played maybe 2 times. They were a blast, and it was especially fun to see my dear friend in love and adored by someone. Congrats to you!




I know I am blocking Stephanie, but it shows how much I dominate at Settlers of Catan :)


Sunday was our first time at our new ward. Everyone was SO nice! I just realized what it reminded me of. If Mayberry would have had a ward, it would have been just like this one. A good mix of old to middle to young. Relief Society was just a blast. I gave a very brief intro to myself and then the lady who so sweetly sat by me and got to know me offered to everyone all she had learned. It was fun. It takes a while to hush everyone from their visiting and I just loved that. We loved our old ward too so we are just being blessed everywhere!

Then we had Sunday dinner at my brother Ryan's with his two boys. My favorite part was my nephew Nathan saying that the salad was "hideous." Gosh he's so funny. And being able to pet a sweet dog made me very happy. It was so delicious and a big blessing because we had absolutely nothing in the house to fix. (We still hadn't brought all our food up from our apartment yet).

My Nephew Nathan, the one on the right :)

Then things got interesting. My poor John got sick. It looked like food poisoning because he thought he was dying, but that didn't make sense so we think it must have been stomach flu or something like that. I felt horrible not being able to do much but scratch his favorite itchy spot on his back and hold the trash can. My parents came over and gave him a blessing which of course made everything better and he was able to sleep the rest of the night. We had planned on going to Las Vegas for a few days on a free trip we had been given, but we decided not to go. We've spent time together and had so much fun. Better than Las Vegas anyway. We even got to make and have dinner together which may have been my favorite part.

In other news, about 3 weeks ago I lost the diamond on my wedding ring. In fact the entire basket or crown whatever it's called, was gone. We looked everywhere, I had an emotional break down of course and it was not my favorite day. We went to the Jewelers and they needed the rest of my ring to send somewhere or something. They also told us since we didn't have our ring inspected like we should have, we would have to pay almost full price to replace it. We were just devastated. I know we shouldn't have been, after all it's just a "thing" and a possession. This was the worst part though. I couldn't get my ring off, so they had to cut it off my hand! Oh it was a horrible horrible feeling. I just started balling in John's arms. And then what's kind of funny is right after I had to sign a paper and I signed it with my maiden name. Kind of funny.
So here is the good news. I get a call and they had already mounted and replaced the diamond! With a slightly larger and better quality diamond! Then we were worried, because we knew we couldn't afford the whole ring now. Well, apparently they gave us a break (and they should have since I've only had it a year and a half!) and I got it back for no cost!!! It has been nothing short of a big blessing and a lesson learned. I learned that no matter how important the meaning of a possession is, it's still a possession and will not be going with me after this life. My mom said "well at least you didn't loose John." That has stuck with me and of course by leaps and bounds that would have been so much worse.




When John brought it home all fixed and so so shiny, he got on one knee and asked me if I would stay married to him. It was so cute. I love him so much. He's my favorite person in the world and my very best friend.


6 comments:

Sharon said...

Cool! sounds like a good/bad week. i'm glad john is feeling better. And I'm mad ryan doesn't invite me over!

Darci said...

What a crazy week. The story of your ring is so cute. I love it!

We're All Wright said...

We love you guys so much!!! I was feeling so sad when John was sick and then you lost your ring.... but nothing is better than a good deal!!! Yippee getting your ring at no cost is like finding a great garage sale!

Sheri Dickson Woodson said...

Oh, I love reading your blog. Glad John is feeling better; too cute that he has a favorite itchy spot :)

He's just as smart as I always knew he was- asking you to stay married to him, I think you're wonderful and you two are great together. He's got it good and is smart enough to know it!

desertortoise said...

So glad you were able to get a ring and even more so you have John!

Jessica said...

That is way cute, the part about John asking you to stay married to him! You sure got a good one, well worth the wait plus 10!
I'm so glad they let you have the ring instead of making you pay. Way to use the water works!
You're awesome Porter, I wish I would have realized that sooner!
Jessica

The Newlyweds

The Newlyweds